Focus areas: societal security and values, politics of the digital, academic publishing
Deadline: 15 November 2015
PRIO invites applications for a position as Research Professor in Politics of Security.
The Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) is a leading institution in peace research. PRIO was one of the first centres for peace research in the world when it was founded in 1959. Today it is an independent, international and interdisciplinary research institute with a turnover of approximately NOK 120 million and 100 staff members. PRIO owns and edits two international peer-reviewed journals (Journal of Peace Research and Security Dialogue). PRIO values staff diversity. The institute is located in attractive premises in central Oslo.
The successful candidate will join PRIO’s security research group and carry out research on societal security. Of particular interest for the position are the interconnections between emerging technologies and societal dynamics in the securing of societies. The candidate is also expected to contribute to security research at PRIO through active project development.
Security research at PRIO focuses on the changing landscape of security actors and practices, aiming to further develop the conceptual constellation of (in)security through new approaches and methodologies. Areas of interest include data-driven surveillance technologies, digital politics, societal security, ethics, finance-security relations, humanitarianism and crisis management. Approaches draw on governmentality studies, political economy of security, international political sociology, criminology, and science and technology studies.
Academic qualifications for the position include:
• Professor competence in a relevant field. Qualifications at the level of professorship will be evaluated as part of the application. The degree must be in a field that is relevant to PRIO’s security research portfolio, which would normally mean in the social sciences, law or humanities.
• A strong scientific publication record. Candidates must have published their research in international peer-reviewed publication channels (journals or academic publishers).
• Solid research competence. Candidates must, through their publications, have demonstrated ability to formulate and address research questions with well-chosen theoretical and methodological approaches.
• Strong writing skills. Candidates must demonstrate that they have strong writing skills, which are needed for future success in project development, academic publishing and other research communication.
• Project development. Candidates must have a track record of successful project funding.
In addition, the successful candidate will have the following qualities:
• Knowledge of Nordic and European security policies, privacy and liberty issues, surveillance and counter-terrorism;
• Broad knowledge of security theories (e.g. International Political Sociology, Critical Security Studies, Ethics of Security, Political Philosophy, International Political Economy) with expertise in the study of technologies and their role in the securing of societies;
• Knowledge of the EU institutions, particularly related to security policy;
• Experience in editorial work, preferably from peer-reviewed publication channels;
• Experience with international collaboration and network-building;
• Experience with project-based activities and project leadership.
PRIO offers salary according to qualifications, group life insurance and membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Start date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Applications for the position are to be submitted by way of an Application Form. Before you start filling in the form, make sure you have the following necessary information and documents ready:
Information provided directly in the online form:
1. Contact details: name, address, phone number, email.
2. Personal information: current position, citizenship, gender, date-of-birth, languages.
3. Details on doctorial and professorial competence, and other relevant academic qualifications.
4. References: name and contact details of two or more references.
Attachments – to be uploaded to the online form as PDFs:
1. Cover letter: should include an account of your qualifications, academic merits, relevant competence and other requirements for the position as described above.
2. CV: in English, and including a list of publications.
3. Copy of certification of doctoral and professorial degree.
For further information, please contact Deputy Administrative Director Lars Even Andersen (email@example.com), tel. +47 915 94 769+47 915 94 769.